Debate is all about intellectual exhibition of your knowledge and beliefs. In ancient times debate used to be treated as an effective faculty at King’s court. Debate is a sheer manifestation of sanity and rationality. Nothing seems more appealing than a man/ woman driven by logic and sanity of mind. Since long people with debatable attribute are much in demand in every spheres of life. Be it Socrates, Chanakya, Birbal or even Elizabethan Portia (as described by The Bard himself).
Technically,debate involves more of politics than logic. Dialectic has always been the key for any solemn debate sessions.
This article is intended to suggest some key factors essential to win over any debate sessions.
- Eye for knowledge: the most essential attribute needed to win over a debate is your inquisitiveness. In a world full of followers, it’s our inquisitiveness that gives us an added advantage over others. Our inquisitiveness helps us to explore spaces of life and our individual minds. Debatable characteristic emerges from the ambit of our individual knowledge and wisdom. Remember, all human brains are hardwired to act or judge as per precincts of their knowledge. So always keep replenishing your mind with more and effective knowledge.
- Listen: Ears to see, eyes to hear- yes, our ears can do wonders if we could apprehend the virtue of listening. A good speaker is the one who listens. How can you win a debate without being a good listener?
- Note: Have you ever heard the term “dream incubators”? They are people who love to incubate their dreams for varied reasons. Writing or taking note is the only way how we can incubate our dreams. Most successful entrepreneurs, leaders, bureaucrats have confessed about their habit of taking notes. It’s as good a habit as washing hands before eating. Notes help us to recapitulate, analyze, apprehend, secure and use information for imperative use.
- Frame: is the dish on which we serve the food, named logic. This is the way how we want to position or place our logic. One of the most crucial aspect of debate is to direct your opposition towards your desired conclusion. Framing helps in channelizing the interaction or monitoring the course of debate. Better the framing better is your chances to nail your opponent.
- Synthesize: Synthesis is a key attribute which will propel you ahead of your league. During any debate session, we synthesize our knowledge and experience to exploit the thought process of our opponents. It is said that human brain is the only organ in our body which manifests the layers of human evolution. The oldest part of our brain is called reptilian brain which caters our instincts, followed by limbic brain guides our feelings and emotions. While the outer most layers is called neo cortex, it is responsible for rational thinking and actions. While debating we synthesize our knowledge and experience in a way that will affect these aforementioned brain layers of our opponents.
- Deliver: This is the most crucial factor of any debate sessions. As no matter how logical you are or how good research had been- unless you deliverance is appealing, you can never win a debate sessions. Every interaction or debate sessions is a one is to one bargaining game, where the dominant player is most likely to win the game. Hence, domination of your opponent can augur you further towards your triumphant glory. You may do this by proper voice, intonation, body language, pronunciation and eye movement. People listen to what you say, but to make a people think give a pause amidst your sentences. These pauses make your listeners analyze and apprehend your sentences. Even there are techniques like palm down gesture and sudden glance at the top hairline of your opponent often plays a significant role in rob your opponent off his/ her confidence.
- Show Gratitude: ‘Thank you’ when combined with a smile is said to have a tremendous psychological impact on the person saying it or the person for whom the gratitude is meant to be. Gratitude is said to be the primeval virtue possessed by all leaders. So in order to prove your worth.
Follow our page www.worlads.in
Mail your reviews and suggestions at email@example.com